Sunday 27th October 2013 will mark 99 years since Dylan Thomas' birth, and also the start of the year-long centenary celebrations. Dylan Thomas would start many of his recitations with the words "I am going to read aloud", and now it's your turn.
Dylan Thomas 100 is launching the first ever Dylan Day on the 27th October using the online community to record as many Dylan Thomas poems as we can between us. Dylan Thomas was an advocate for new media embracing the latest communication methods for the broadcast of many of his works. In the spirit of this they want you use your smartphones to record 6 seconds of yourself reading a line of Dylan Thomas' poetry and send it to dylanthomas100.org, who will then edit all the clips together to create the completed poems!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED...
- A smartphone.
- the free application "Vine" downloaded onto your phone.
- A Twitter account
- You also need to register your email address so we can send you your line of Dylan Thomas poetry.
- Twitter Username: @
- Sign up for the festival mailing list
- You'll receive an email from dylanthomas.org (this could take up to 12 hours depending on the time of day etc) with further instructions, the full version of the poem that your line is from, with the line you'll be reading aloud in bold.
- Use Vine to record your line within the 6 seconds it allows you.
- Once recorded click the options to "share this post" and then "copy link".
- Paste the link into a tweet using the following wording - #IAmGoingToReadAloud @DylanThomas_100 "INSERT VINE LINK" #DylanDay
That's it! The rest will be done for you and everyone's clips will be edited together to create new readings of Dylan Thomas' poems created entirely by you.
It's up to you how you want to record your 6 second clip. It could be in a special location, or you could use Vine's unique way of filming to create something a bit different... or you could just record it in your favourite easy chair. We don't mind, we want this to be about how you want to express yourself through Dylan Thomas' work.
WHEN SHOULD I TWEET THE CLIP?
You can tweet us your clip as soon as you've recorded it if you want to, but all we ask is that you resend your tweet on Dylan's actual Birthday, 27th October. If you miss Dylan Day don't worry! We're going to be collecting clips throughout the year until Dylan's Centenary in 2014.
AND NOW... I AM GOING TO READ ALOUD.....
For an example of the sort of thing you will be taking part in, check out this address.